How to Prevent Gum Diseases
If you want a healthy mouth, consider your gums as well as the health of your teeth. Even if you have the healthiest, straightest teeth, your gums are just as important and should be cared for. Since gum disease is generally painless, most people don’t know they have it.
Plaque, a white, sticky substance filled with bacteria, builds up under the gum line and on the teeth. It causes an infection that leads to gum disease. The earliest stage of gum disease is gingivitis, also caused by plaque.
Why is Gum Health Crucial to Your Overall Well-Being?
Badly maintained gums are easily afflicted with gingivitis, leading to the following symptoms:
- Profuse Bleeding
Fortunately, this damage is reversible if the bone and tissue holding the teeth in place aren’t too badly affected.
Tips to Help You Maintain Gum Health
Maintaining good oral health, including your gums, is an easy task if you diligently follow the proper oral hygiene. Here are some ways:
- Floss every day. Whether you floss at night, at breakfast, or after lunch, it aids in removing plaque and food that your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Get regular dental cleanings. You can prevent gum disease symptoms from becoming more serious. Professional tooth cleaning is the only sure way of removing tartar, plaque, and any remaining food particles. If you have gingivitis, regular dental cleanings can reverse it.
- Stop smoking. Smoking weakens your immune system, increasing your risk of gum disease. This will make you less able to fight off a gum infection. When your gums have been damaged by smoking, they are less likely to heal properly.
- Brush after every meal or at least twice a day. This cleans off food and plaque from your teeth and gums. Brush your tongue, too, since it could have bacteria. Your toothbrush should be soft-bristled and is comfortable in your mouth.
- Replace your toothbrush when the bristles fray, around every three to four months. Do so especially if you have a battery-powered or electric toothbrush. Note that electric toothbrushes can help reduce gingivitis and plaque more effectively than manual brushes.
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride to reduce gingivitis, freshen your breath, and whiten your teeth.
Spa Dentistry offers advanced dental care services including da Vinci veneers. Give us a call at (408) 270-7723 for more details. You can also book online or visit us at 2726 Aborn Rd., Ste. K, San Jose, CA 95121.